Horizon’s Student and Resident Code of Conduct
The Student and Resident Code of Conduct sets out the standards of conduct expected of all undergraduate students and residents while affiliated with Horizon College & Seminary. It holds individuals and groups responsible for their actions and failure to fulfill these responsibilities may result in withdrawal of privileges, imposition of sanctions, inability or deferral to graduate, or dismissal. Horizon College & Seminary is a Christian institution, aligning itself (doctrinally and in conduct) with and under the auspices of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada.
Please note that students and residents may also be required to adhere to additional policies (academic, dorm-related, etc.) not outlined here.
Horizon College & Seminary employees, students, and board members comprise the Horizon community, and jointly agree to abide by our community covenant: To honour Christ, I will honour His name, His character, His Church, and the mission of His Kingdom by living a life that displays:
- Honesty: Pursuing a lifestyle of honesty in every area of our lives including: speaking truth, paying debts, giving credit where credit is due, and refusing to slander others (Eph. 4:22-5:2).
- Respect: submitting to and honouring elders and those in authority over me, and the rules they set in place (1 Tim. 5:1-2; 1 Thess. 5:12-13; Heb. 13:17).
- Holiness: Pursuing a heart to be like Christ in all things; desiring good fruit and avoiding ungodly conduct such as drunkenness, sexual activity outside of marriage between a man and a woman, pornography, greed, and other lusts of the flesh (Col. 3:5-6; Rom. 6:5-6, 11-14; 1 Cor. 5:11; Gal. 5:19-21).
- Righteousness: Pursuing righteousness and truth in speech and deed by avoiding coarse or filthy language, bitterness, rage, false teaching and gossip, instead being peaceable and doing all things as unto the Lord (Eph. 5:29-32; Col. 3:8-10, 15-17; 1 Tim. 6:3-6; 2 Tim. 2:14-19).
- Humility: Do nothing out of selfish ambition, but in humility consider others better than myself, looking not only to my own interests, but also to the interests of others out of love (Phil. 2:3,4; Rom. 12:10).
- Accountability: When seeing a brother/sister stumble, I will correct them with an attitude of humility and restore them gently, being careful not to stumble myself (Gal. 6:1).
- Participation: Do my part as a member of the body to help us all grow up to maturity in the faith (Eph. 4:11-16; 1 Cor. 12:7,12, 25-26; Heb. 10:24-25).
Student and Resident Code of Conduct:
To preserve our evangelical-Christian values, and demonstrate competency in contextual awareness and spiritual maturity, all Horizon College students and residents agree to:
- show respect and care to all with whom they deal, whether staff, faculty , other students, members of the constituency, or general public
- maintain appropriate appearance in dress and hygiene
- promote a positive attitude within and about Horizon College & Seminary
- strive to complete all academic responsibilities with integrity
- willingly be held accountable for attitudes, behaviours, and scholastic performance, and willingly receive correction when necessary
- support Horizon College & Seminary’s mission, vision, values, and leadership
In addition, all Horizon College students agree to abstain from:
- communication that is destructive to Horizon College & Seminary’s community life, interpersonal relationships, or reputation. Such communication includes but is not limited to: gossip, slander, vulgar/obscene language, prejudice, or any communication that negatively influences classroom/dorm morale
- harassment or any form of verbal or physical intimidation including discrimination
- lying, cheating, or other forms of dishonesty including plagiarism
- unlawful activity, including but not limited to theft of physical or intellectual property, destruction of property, sharing confidential information
- insubordination or abandonment of duties
- any form of hazing
- sexual intimacy that violates sacred marriage between a man and a woman
- any behaviour with identity that contradicts one’s birth sex and the biblical teaching of God’s original and ongoing design for humanity as two distinct sexes, male and female.
- the use of materials that are degrading, dehumanizing, exploitive, hateful, or gratuitously violent, including but not limited to pornography
- alcohol, the use or possession of illegal drugs, smoking, vaping, non-medicinal cannabis (and all its derivatives, including edibles) and the misuse or abuse of substances including prescribed drugs
- growing cannabis or attempting to sell cannabis within residence
- possession or use of any weapon or hazardous substances/devices
- promoting religious beliefs incompatible with Christian faith
Horizon College & Seminary believes strongly in its students, their desire to uphold the highest standards of deportment, and their willingness to receive correction when necessary. Horizon’s primary approach to discipline is to be educational and restorative. Sanctions will be issued as appropriate to the conduct involved. More than one sanction may be applied and repeated breaches of this Code will normally result in progressively more severe sanctions. In those rare instances when these policies are violated, disciplinary measures that may be imposed include (but are not limited to):
- Written warning or reprimand
- Probation, during which conditions must be fulfilled and appropriate behavior demonstrated
- Financial remuneration for damaged property or injury, or imposition of a fine
- Issuance of an apology (either private or public)
- Loss of privilege
- Restriction of access
- Exclusion from dorm, or relocation to a different room
- Suspension or expulsion
- Withholding of the privilege of convocation
- Deferral or disallowance of graduation
- In some criminal situations, the police may be contacted
- Any individual (student, RA, staff, faculty, or resident) may report a violation of this policy.
- A report may be initiated by filling out a Student and Resident Code of Conduct Violation Report and submitting it to the Dean of Students, Associate Dean of Students, or the Academic Dean.
- All parties will be considered and treated as innocent until evidence should prove otherwise.
- Confidentiality of all parties will be respected to the degree that the process of investigation allows, but cannot be guaranteed.
- The right of an accuser to rescind their accusation will be respected, but Horizon College & Seminary reserves the right to continue its own internal investigation if warranted.
- For some incidents of lesser severity, the investigating body will consist of the Dean of Students (or Associate Dean), one other staff or faculty member, the Student Council President and one other Student Council representative, as detailed in the Student Handbook. For incidents of higher severity (typically, but not restricted to level 3), the Academic Dean may call an ad hoc investigative committee together to examine the salient details surrounding the allegation.
- The process of investigation should commence within three business days of receipt of the allegation.
The full process is outlined in the Student Disciplinary Policy.
Please note that the Undergraduate Student Handbook details the Horizon College & Seminary appeals process.
Other relevant policies and procedures related to Student Code of Conduct include, but are not limited to:
- Horizon College & Seminary Sexual Harassment Policy
- HCS Residence Guidelines
- HCS Undergraduate Student Handbook
- Constitution of the Student Body of Horizon College & Seminary
- Policy statements outlined in individual course syllabi
- Cannabis Policy
- Student Disciplinary Policy
I hereby agree to be responsible and accountable to live by the principles and practices contained in the Undergraduate Student Handbook and its Code of Conduct while enrolled at Horizon College. If at any time I should choose not to abide by these guidelines, I willingly agree to submit to the discipline and consequences resulting. I also recognize that within a Christian community I am responsible to encourage my fellow students to uphold these guidelines.