Horizon College & Seminary traces its origins back to a small school that George Hawtin, a local pastor, began in Star City, Saskatchewan, in 1935. In 1937, Hawtin moved the school, then known as Bethel Bible Institute, to Saskatoon where he purchased property and developed a campus at Avenue A and 29th Street. In 1945, the college became the property of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC) and in 1947 the college came under the direction of the Saskatchewan District of the PAOC as a result of a major administrative change in the school itself.
Robert M. Argue came from his Regina pastorate in 1947 to provide the college with solid leadership during the next nine critical years. When he left in 1956, C.H. Stiller, the Saskatchewan District Superintendent, became president and guided the college through some difficult years created by low enrolments. It was, however, during this time that the Manitoba District began to support Bethel. When the school, in 1962, had its name changed to Central Pentecostal College, it came under the joint sponsorship of the Manitoba-Northwestern Ontario and Saskatchewan Districts of the PAOC.
During Alvin Schindel’s presidency, from 1963 to 1974, the college purchased the former Lutheran Theological Seminary building and some land just off 8th Street East. With the erection of a new residence in 1969, capable of housing seventy-two students, the college was developing a campus more suited to its needs and purposes. In 1972, Central Pentecostal College established an agreement with Lutheran Theological Seminary in Saskatoon whereby qualified students could study at Central Pentecostal College towards attaining a graduate level theological degree.
Further significant campus developments took place during the ten years of Kenneth Birch’s presidency from 1974-1984. Ken led a building program that added a 150-seat lecture theatre, an expanded library, and a new office complex to the existing education building.
Central Pentecostal College was granted Affiliate College status by the University of Saskatchewan on July 1, 1983. This recognition provided and continues to provide access for our students to use the University Libraries. A number of courses were also recognized for transferring credit to the University.
Presidents of the college since 1983 have included: J. Harry Faught (1984-1993), Ron Kadyschuk (1993-1998), David Munk (1998-2004), Doug Stiller (2004-2006), Gordon Giesbrecht (2006-2009), and Mark Emde (2010-2012).
Central Pentecostal College began the process of external accreditation with the American Association of Bible Colleges (AABC) in 1988 and was granted accredited membership in the AABC in 1997. The accrediting association is now called the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE).
In 2007 the ABHE approved a new agreement between our college and Providence Theological Seminary (in Otterburne, Manitoba) to create a Pentecostal Studies track in Providence’s Master of Divinity program.
On May 1, 2007 we officially changed our name to Horizon College & Seminary. Hundreds of graduates from the ministerial training programs at Horizon are in different types of full-time ministry at home and abroad as well as responsible places of lay leadership in local churches and other ministries. In 2009, Horizon College & Seminary merged libraries with the libraries of the Saskatoon Theological Union, creating one of the largest theological collections in Canada (120,000 volumes).
In February 2015, the ABHE accrediting agency reaffirmed Horizon for accreditation until 2025.
In September 2015, Horizon commemorated its 80th year of ministry by launching “Horizon 8.0,” becoming Canada’s first competency-based Christian leadership college.