I don’t often recommend books I haven’t yet read, but I recently did with Scot McKnight and Laura Barringer, A Church Called Tov: Forming a Goodness Culture (Tyndale, 2020). Partly this was because I thought the topic to be timely. I’m sick of hearing about prominent “celebrity” pastors failing and their ministries’ toxic celebrity culture brushing off victims and voices in opposition. McKnight and Barringer (McKnight’s daughter) had both attended Willow Creek in the past with front-row seats to their handling of Bill Hybels’ fail.

I also recommended the book sight unseen because I very much like and trust Scot McKnight. I thought the idea of developing church culture around the concept of tov (Hebrew for “good”) sounded brilliant and I looked forward to what this world-class biblical scholar had to say.

So I was super disappointed when I read the book. So much so that I felt the need to follow up with those to whom I recommended the book, and have even been inspired to blow off the dust from this blog and post about it. (Has it really been since 2016?)

Keep Reading